Twas the Night Before Christmas

From: Hans Johnson (sileshar@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Dec 24 2000 - 01:04:29 PST

Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 01:04:29 -0800 (PST)
From: Hans Johnson <sileshar@yahoo.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Twas the Night Before Christmas

     'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house,
     Not a sound could be heard but the click of my mouse.
     I looked for my e-mail to see what I'd missed.
     But the inbox was empty - not a word from the list.

     So I surfed through the 'net, having muttered "Oh fudge!"
     Went from the Web-Ring to the Archives, and then to Matt Drudge.
     Having exhausted my bookmarks {not to mention myself},
     There was nothing could cheer me, save that right jolly old elf!

     Then one last time I checked for the digest.
     It must have come now - or so I had guessed.
     Away to that window I clicked in a flash,
     And saw that my hope had not been too rash.

     With one in my inbox, I just crossed my fingers
     That finally I'd get some info that lingers.
     When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
     But two dozen topics from friends far and near!

     Soil, light, and water - many cultivation tips.
     Trays, seeds, terraria, and {Hurray!} some field trips.
     Gardening has much of interest for you and for me.
     But you can keep bonsai! I like my cp:

     Drosera, Byblis, Cephalotus, Genlisea,
     Pinguicula, Nepenthes, Aldrovanda, Dionea,
     Utricularia and, too, Darlingtonia.
     And let's not forget Heliamphora or Sarracenia.

     I'm partial to sundews, to this I'll admit.
     But all plants carnivorous are fun - some quite a bit.
     So now I salute you contributors, one and all.
     Thanks to those I've forgotten, and to those I recall!

     Jay Lechtman, Dave Evans, Tom Hayes and John Green.
     Charles Brewer, they say, grows the best Cephs you've seen!
     Phil Wilson, John Wilden, Kit Halsted, Miguel de Salas.
     Sundew Matt has great success but I bear him no malice!

     Ivan Snyder keeps cross-breeding - a mad scientist he!
     Steve Klitzing's wild theories bring a chuckle from me.
     Angie Nichols with sun pitchers, Paul Temple with Pings,
     Andrew Bate with cobra lilies, are the queen and the kings.

     Joe Griffin, Rob Cantley, Richard Jobson, Amy Ritchie.
     The Wistubas have Nepenthes I'm sure would bewitch me.
     Michael Catalani, Michael Pagoulatos, "Petiolaris" Sean Samia.
     And the best traveloger? Sr. Lopes {Fernando Rivadavia}!

     For questions taxonomic about leaf, seed, or flower,
     Don't come to me, you'd best ask Jan Schlauer.
     Madeline Groves and Susan Farrington deserve our thanks and support,
     For botanical gardens are oases of the most wonderful sort.

     Philip Semanchuk, Nigel Hurneyman, and Steven Stewart too.
     Michael Chamberland likes Utrics, but that's nothing new!
     John Taylor, Rob Maharaj, and Ron Gagliardo.
     Voices past and present, chief among them: Peter D'Amato.

     Whether expert or amateur, they've all had a part.
     It's worth reading the archives, right from the start.
     About squirrels or flourescents, you'll get good advice.
     Many thanks for this listserve to Rick Walker and Barry Meyers-Rice!

     So to all of our members from Brazil to Australia,
     From Florida to Finland, Vancouver, Tasmania,
     May your life be at peace in this season of light.
     "HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ALL, AND TO ALL A GOOD-NIGHT!"