Re: hybrids

Barry Meyers-Rice (dunwich%SOLPL@as.arizona.edu)
Fri, 7 Dec 90 18:25:16 mst

Paul writes:

>very little benefit from trapped insects. It seems that air-borne
>bacteria are the source of enzymes in the mucilage, but it is not known
>if the bacteria get

This is surprising to me. I know about these arguments with Sarrs,
but I didn't even think about tie-ins to other genera.

>A new addition to my glasshouse is a Drosera adelae. It wasn't very sticky

And if it is at least an average clone, it will get bigger, and bigger,
and send out roots to colonize more plants, and more.....it is as bad
as a Utric!

>Barry, last I heard, you were so unimpressed by this plant, you gave yours
>away. You get another one back?

I had two.

>Auquatic utric flowers. Hmm, wud u care to take up the wager if I give
>my own plants a substrate? It would be worth doing to get flowers (I could

Nah. I was just being cocky. By all means, tuck some into a substrate.
I would suggest that you find a branch that is most bladdery, and
submerge that. Keep other stuff floating as a control. Don't forget to
do this to your gibba, too.

>unidentifies one. Would substrate encourage flowering in radiata or inflata?

I doubt it. Both of these species are suspended aquatics in nature. Just
let 'em float like they expect. Incidentally, something very strange
seems to be going on with my radiata, but I won't tell you yet (you
wouldn't believe it anyway). I'll tell you that it's NOT flowering, or
anything else you might suspect. Really weird.

>Humidity and Nepenthes

I have some N. X williamsii growing OUT of a terrarium at my office,
and it still continues to pitcher very nicely. My office is dry.

Mike: I think that the hybrid you gave me long ago as N. X hookeriana
is certainly NOT that plant. The breeding of hookeriana is
rafflesiana X ampullaria, and there are pictures of it in Slack's
two books. The hybrid we have is all wrong. I WILL grant you that it has
some rafflesiana, but it is more complex.

I have just gotten back from the photo lab one of the best macro
photographs that I have ever taken. It is a great shot of D.indica. I
think that I may send it out to be published in CPN.

Allen's catalogue, incidentally, has an interesting Utric listed.
He just has it listed as "U. species, Taylor 70003 in The Genus
Utric, p104." Well, I opened my copy of TAYLOR to p104, and found the
reference. Apparently, there is a population of plants a bit
SE of Perth, individuals of which look like U. inaequalis, and others
look like violacea, and others range nicely between these extremes.
It is a bit more complicated than that, but I haven't the time to
enter it all. This is a location where TAYLOR suggests that we may
be seeing a hybrid swarm.