Re: Utric info requested

Barry Meyers-Rice (barry%as.arizona.edu@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU)
Wed, 18 Dec 91 01:16:29 MST

>Subject: Ground pitchers on N. ampullaria.

>how the ground pitchers form. Can anyone with ampullaria
>confirm this? Do you normally see lots of ground pitchers?

Rob, this is interesting. I don't know if my amp `red' produces
ground pitchers. There are many pitchers that look for all the world
like ground pitchers, but if you poke around in the Sphagnum you find
normal leaves connecting the pitchers to the stem. If these qualify as
ground pitchers I think ground pitchers is sort of a silly term.
Maybe you've hit upon genuine ones.

>four months. I got the new CPN today too (on Monday). On the cover is a
>D. graminifolia, which looks sort of like D. filiformis. The "want
>ads" lists

My first thought was that it was a strange D. regia.

>S. psittacina 'yellow flower' being sold for $35! They also mention N.
>rajah

I admit that I've spent up to about $20 USA on a particularly interesting
clone of Sarracenia, and might JUST shell out $35 if I found a verified
S. leucophylla alba. For example, if Don Schnell was parting with one.

>Don Schnell also mentions the article in CPN from several years ago
>about the Holland nursery supposedly growing thousands of Dionaea and
>Sarracenia from seed and leaf cuttings. He called this a fake, and the
>plants were really collected from the wild in the USA.

This really depressed me. Whenever I look through old CPNs and I happen upon
this issue I always get frozen when I see all those ZILLIONS of VFTs and
S. psittacina in that huge greenhouse. I've tried to figure out if it was
maybe a trick photo. It's really disgusting those were all field collected.
Really disgusting.

>and I'll also gladly accept orchids - awarded Cattleya clones is probably

I've tried growing orchids a couple times, always with dismal results.
I'm not going to try again for a while yet. I have a hot, low humidity
growing area.

> I have some questions about my Utrilularia culture. I list the
> species I have below, and what I know of the culture based on reading

Species Tropical Temperate Flowering
gibba* Yes Yes Keep < 1" H2O, give it sand to dig in
graminifolia Yes Yes? Water table high, chill a while.
juncea Yes Yes Patience---Do NOT disturb
livida sounds like you're doing fine with this
sandersonii sounds like you're doing fine with this
nephrophylla Yes No ???? grows well wet
praelonga Yes No? ???? grows well wet
prehensilis Yes No Patience. Grows well wet, too.
pubescens Yes No Patience. Likes shade.
striata No Yes Tough. Mike does well keeping it cold
tricolor Yes No Produces many branching scapes which abort

*gibba is pantropical too, and different clones behave differently. My
florida plant flowers constantly, but my B.C. plant never has.

Just my $.02

BAMR

P.S. Drat! My U. monanthos from Fred Howell flowered, but the flowers
turned out to be some U. subulata in with the `monanthos' from Fred.
Damn those weeds!