molding seedlings

K. Rogers (krogers@javelin.sim.es.com)
Mon, 22 Feb 1993 11:30:00 -0700 (MST)

Alasiuru Pekka writes:

>I have finally sown my _Drosera_ and _Sarracenia_ seeds week ago and
>now the problem is that the peat where they are sawn is molding. I
>have a seedbed with small pots and the bed is covered so it is like a
>little greenhouse. I have now taken the cover away. The temperature
>is 20-21 Celsius. What I can do with the mold? I have taken some mold
>away but the peat surface is molding now again? Huh? In the same
>place I have Lithops seeds and they are germinating very well.
>Naturally they are not in peat but in cacti compost. Is the problem in
>that peat?

Seeds often develop various mold, fungus and algae problems if not
started in reasonably sterile conditions. Peat is especially prone to
fungus blooms if not sterilized first. This can be done by simply
boiling it before using. Some people boil it 2 or 3 times to be sure.
It's a bit messy but not a big problem.

Alternatively, use a presterilized, packaged starting medium. The
cactus compost is almost certainly sterilized. I prefer this method
as the maufacturers use pressurized steam to treat the medium and it's
*really* sterile. Still, I don't know how available this is in
Finland so you may have to boil your own peat after all.

The seeds themselves can harbor some nasty spores. They can be soaked
for a few minutes in 5-10% sodium hypochlorate solution. We have a
chlorine bleach product in the States called Chlorox which is perfect
for this task. That said, however, I've not noticed any difference
between Chlorox soaked seeds and not-soaked in anything I've sprouted
so long as the planting medium is sterile. I know that chlorox
soaking is a must for starting orchids and ferns, CPs shouldn't need
it.

Other than that just make sure they get plenty of light and fresh air.
I guess CPs also want really soft water as well whereas most other
plants don't care too much.

Keith Rogers
krogers@javelin.sim.es.com