Re: Ping hybrids

Bob Beer (bbeer@u.washington.edu)
Wed, 24 Feb 1993 17:57:58 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 24 Feb 1993, Rick Walker wrote:
> Before trying to hybridize the "perfect" Ping, it would be good
> to have an idea of what the goals are.
>
> Here's my first cut at the ideal Ping:
>
> 1) free flowering with large, showy flowers
> 2) no winter dormancy
> 3) thick, succulent leaves with reddish tinge
> 4) tolerant of moderately low humidity
> 5) roots resistant to drying and mold
>
> OK, so here's the quiz for the group: 1) If you had to develop the "ideal"
> Ping what qualities would you choose? and 2) Which species would you
> use as the basis for your breeding stock, and what is your reasoning?

I think I would try for differences in leaves as well. I like thick
succulent leaves, but not exclusively. I really like the ones with the
roundish leaves with the curled margins as well. I don't think there
would ever be "a" perfect ping, since everyone is going to have their
own idea of what perfect is, or maybe they would be like my friend
Elaine here, whos idea of the perfect plant is anything she hasn't seen
before....:) I think the main thing to remember is to work toward the
goal you want, and save only the ones you think are really outstanding,
and not release loads of so-so hybrids into the market/public/whatever.