varia

Jan Schlauer (zxmsl01@studserv.zdv.uni-tuebingen.de)
Tue, 4 May 93 20:42:48 +0200

Barry, you wrote:
>Jan: I was thinking about whether or not this deserved publication.
>You're more involved with the literature than I am---has this already
>been beaten to the ground?

The phenomenon of stigma motility in _Utricularia_ has been noted as
early as 1869. But almost all work on this (as well as on stigma
motility in other genera and families) was published in German and at
the end of the last century. So I think our (i.e. in the first line
your) results would be sufficient at least for a short note in CPN.

>I think we should try more species first.
>I'll experiment with any plants I find in the S.E. US when I'm travelling.

This would be nice, of course. All too little is known about pollination in
Lentibulariaceae.

>I've not been successful with _U.purpurea_ the few times I've grown it
>(read: killed it), and my _U.resupinata_ is very shy to flower. So I
>can't test these species.

8-(.

>I recently got a nice shipment of plants
>in trade, including _U.aureomaculata_, and a pair of _U.livida_ clumps,
>one from Africa and the other from Mexico. I am interested to see if they
>will hybridize---I've wanted to try this experiment ever since P.Taylor
>suggested it.

A nice shipment, indeed!
Where did you get _U.aureomaculata_ from?
You do not want to try if _U.aureomaculata_ will hybridize with
_U.livida_ (but rather the two clones of _U.livida_ with each other), do you?

Kind regards
Jan