Re: CP

John Taylor [The Banshee] (rphjt@minyos.xx.rmit.OZ.AU)
Fri, 7 May 93 12:43:44 +0000

>On Thu, 6 May 1993, Don wrote:
>
>> The first Sarracenia flower opened today from a plant of S. flava.
>> Was it Don Schnell who first said the flower "had a faint feline odor"?
>> IMO, the flower REEKED like cat piss! Very strong odor!
>>
>Ever smell a Nepenthes flower? Just like a dirty mouse cage....

Ah, but neither comes close to a Stapelia in full-bloom...

My latest plant aquisition is a Stapelia hirsuta (*very* hairy flowers - looks
more like a tarantula than a starfish...), which I grew from a cutting. I
think has one of the more interesting (and probrably "fragrant") flowers of
this genus. Pity it's not a CP though... ;-)

BTW, I might have a go at making a Byblis tip cutting - our gigantea has
started producing a couple of new shoots at the base and the old stem is still
alive and growing, so I'll prune the old one off. How far below the tip
should I cut the cutting?

BFN

| John Taylor [The Banshee] | Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology |