Re: Book Project

Pekka Ala-Siuru (pal@tko.vtt.fi)
Thu, 7 Oct 1993 14:27:21 +0200

On Thu, 7 Oct 1993, James Powell wrote:

> Why don't we create an electronic book using the HTML (World Wide Web -
> distributed hypertext)? We could contribute images and text to the project and
> maybe when it reached a critical mass have the whole thing pressed on CDROM's.
> Then anyone with a PC, Mac or whatever, but lacking network access could buy
> the CD for home use. We could form subgroups to manage genera or families.
> It'd be great fun!

Yes, (I think there was earlier someone who mentioned this in the list) this
could be great fun indeed. I am currently in a project in which we are
making electronic documents in process automation systems (that's one of
our project's goals) and I am preparing a demonstration in the near future
with XMosaic. I have used Chris Hectors rtftohtml converter (I have a little
bit modified version) to convert MSWordforWindows .rtf text files to HTML.
I can give some support if needed.

James, do you have free disk space? We need naturally an URL place where
to put all knowledge. Or several ones, one in Australia, one in Europe, one
in USA.

Pekka