(no subject)

Jan Schlauer (zxmsl01@studserv.zdv.uni-tuebingen.de)
Wed, 10 Nov 1993 11:30:28 +0100

Barry, you wrote:
> ... and that perhaps the progenitor to this
(i.e. Lentibulariaceae)
>derived from _Scrophulariaceae_. But
>why perhaps not _Lamiaceae_?

It was certainly not Lamiaceae. The fruits of this family are 4 parted, and
nutlet-like (cenobia). The free central condition of Lentibulariaceae
evidently evolved from the 2-locular ovary of the Scrophulariaceae by
suppression of the diaphragm (a trend which can be seen in the
scrophulariacean genus _Limosella_, already).

>It is also a little uncomfortable to me that
>in the _Ping_ portion of evolution, the inflorescences are all
>1-flowered with no bracts or bracteoles, but in _G._ and _U._ the
>racemes are usually few--many flowered, and if I recall correctly,
>even the 1-flowered plants have dormant buds at the inflorescence apex.
>And all _G._ and _U._ inforescences bear bracts and bracteoles, and
>very often scales.

As I already mentioned, I consider the flowering habit of _Pinguicula_
(considered a further adaptation to rosetted growth) to be an "advanced"
trait, an autapomrphy of _Pinguicula_ within Lentibulariaceae (the racemose
or sometimes pleiochasial inflorescence type being the plesiomorphous
state). In fact, _Pinguicula_ has a reduced racemous inflorescence, the
pedicels considerably elongated and the peduncle/scape with extremely
reduced internodes so that the (enlarged) subtending bracts (bracteoles
absent? _U._ also sometimes does not have bracteoles and scales/sterile
bracts) are not discernible from the normal leaves of the rosette.

Kind regards
Jan