_D. citrina_

Don Burden (donb@coplex.coplex.com)
Mon, 20 Dec 93 19:25 EST

Jan writes:
> Which are the respective publication dates cited in that article?
> I thought my paper appeared earlier than Lowrie & Carlquist's!

Martin Cheek didn't look at publication dates. First, he tried to find
the dates that the publications were received by various botanical libraries.
At Kew, 'Der Palmengarten' (containing Jan's article validating the name
_D. chrysochila_) was received on 19th Oct, 1992; and 'Phytologia'
(containing Lowrie and Carlquist's article validating the name _D. citrina_
for the same plant) was received 11th Nov, 1992. A Berlin library had close
to the same dates. The Missouri Botanical Garden received 'Phytologia' in
mid-November 1992, and received 'Der Palmengarten' in late October. The
U.S. libraries were getting the journal that was published in the U.S.
('Phytologia') before the European journal; and the European libraries were
getting the journal that was published in Europe ('Das Palmengarten') before
the U.S. journal - not surprisingly.

Martin Cheek then found the dates these journals were mailed out.
'Phytologia' was mailed 7th of October (info from Michael Warnock) and
'Das Palmengarten' was mailed 12th of October (info from Dr. Zizka).
So, Martin Cheek claims that by 5 days, _D. citrina_ is now the valid name.

--
Don Burden
New Albany, Indiana, USA