Re: question

Pekka Ala-Siuru (pal@tko.vtt.fi)
Mon, 10 Jan 1994 10:24:23 +0200 (EET)

On Sun, 9 Jan 1994, Andreas Wistuba wrote:

> Is it possible to send graphics or other documents via e-mail. I have
> the possibility to attach documents with the e-mails I send however I
> do not know whether it works or whether it's necessary to have
> winpmail (The program I use) to receive such documents.

Surely it is possible. In Unix system you must first compress the picture
file and then encode it.
The procedure is like this:

compress picture.gif (or whatever the format is .jpg .bmp etc.)

the result is a file picture.gif.Z

then:
uuencode picture.gif.Z < picture.gif.Z > whatever

After that you can attach this file whatever to your mail and send it.

When receiving mails which include binary data, the procedure is :

uudecode whatever
uncompress picture.gif.Z

..Pekka