Phototrons, Nepenthes, and some questions answered

MALOUF@ESTD.NRL.NAVY.MIL
Mon, 24 Jan 1994 14:45:06 -0500 (EST)

Chris wrote to me:

>...I should explain what a phototron is. Basically it is a growing chamber
>that is about 4'6" high and about 2'6" in diameter. It has three U shaped
>broad spectrum flouresents combined with one way glass which produces about
>1,800 foot candles of light. This light is the primary reason the plants
>do so well. It either kills them or makes them stronger when first put
>in the chamber. Second, it has an automatic watering system which keeps
>a one inch puddle of water at the bottom of the growing medium, which is
>about 8 to 10 inches deep. This system allows the plants to draw as much
>water as they need.

Chris,
Thanks for explaining what a phototron is. Now, to your
questions.

>First and foremost, how wet do you keep them (Nepenthes)
>and what is the planting media.

The planting media is regular, unmilled dry sphagnum. Before use, the
sphagnum is soaked in a pail of water until it has absorbed as much as it
can.

For the Nepenthes, I keep the sphagnum damp to the touch. It tends to hold
water fairly well in a reasonably humid environment. For example, I have
D. capensis potted in sphagnum and not in a humid enclosure. It needs water
about once a week, thoroughly (a good soaking until the water runs out of
the bottom of the pot). Since the Nepenthes are in a plastic bag with only
a few quarter-sized holes in it, the humidity is very close to 100% relative.
I don't have to water them but once every two weeks, or even less.

My set up is roughly similar to your phototron except for the humidity.
I have four fluorescent tube fixtures, each containing two four-foot
tubes. I use half grow-lux and half regular white. The fixtures are
horizontal and crammed close together side by side, about two feet
off the floor. The plants are in a clear plastic bag underneath,
along with some other plants that are not in bags. Over the top and
sides of the whole thing is a sheet of silvered mylar to keep as much of
the light on the plants as possible. I've set the photoperiod on
the controller for 12 hours of light. And, with this set up the
plants get a LOT of light. My N. Alatas and N. Khasianas have no
trouble developing beautiful red mottling on the pitchers--better
than in the summer! I guess that's because I sunburned them one
year and have since been reluctant to give them anything more
than dappled sunlight. Unfortunately this set up is
not good for showing the plants--it's only good for wintering them
until I can put them outside. I imagine your phototron is good for
showing the plants. Also, my plants have no trouble growing taller
than the fixture level, and so must be run horizontally until I
take them out or prune them.

I do not have a thick layer of planting media with the lower portion
soaked, as your phototron does. Each of my Nepenthes is in its own
pot and I make sure to keep the pots out of standing water.

>Second and last, do you fertilize them with anything?

I use absolutely no fertilizer on my Nepenthes. I've heard
wonderful stories about Superthrive, Miracid, and Peter's, but
I've also heard that fertilizing Nepenthes makes the plant
produce more vine and less pitchers. I have no personal experience
with this, but mine are doing just fine and I'd rather not play
with them.

Perry