Re: CP

Andreas Wistuba (A.Wistuba@DKFZ-Heidelberg.DE)
Tue, 25 Jan 1994 10:20:54 GMT+1

Don, you wrote:

> In-vitro Nepenthes culture:
>...how is the culture continued for another generation?

You put plants on a multiplication-medium and wait until they have
multiplied. Then you may either cut the bunch of resulting plants apart
and repeat the procedure or you may plant them to normal soil.
Sometimes it's necessary to do this via a rooting-hormone step.

> Has anyone tried growing them similar to the way orchids are grown
> from an apical meristem - in liquid nutrient solution under constant
> agitation? In this method, as the first plantlet grows from the
> meristem, the agitation breaks it into two or more pieces after which
> each part again grows and breaks up. In a short time after enough
> plantlets are generated, they are placed on solid agar media to
> develop normally.

I've tried meristem culture in Nepenthes and in one case (N. alata) it
had worked. However I did this with solid medium because in
preliminary experiments all the Nepenthes I put in liquid medium
showed strong vitrification symptoms.

Andreas