New CP archive arrangement

Rick Walker (walker@cutter.hpl.hp.com)
Thu, 07 Apr 1994 18:15:47 -0700

Just a warning for anyone who wishes to access the CP
archives... I've completely replaced all the correspondence
archives with updated versions. Here is the current index for
these files:

cp.90 2 parts CP discussions for 1990
cp.91 6 parts CP discussions for 1991
cp.92 17 parts CP discussions for 1992
cp.93 42 parts CP discussions for 1993
cp.jan94 7 parts CP discussions for 01/94
cp.feb94 6 parts CP discussions for 02/94
cp.mar94 8 parts CP discussions for 03/94

Notice that I have collapsed cp.93a-cp.93l into one file, and have
changed the naming format for 1994 to include the month in the file
name. It is interesting to note that the traffic in this group has
been growing about 3x per year!

The file contents have also been edited to reduce size and make the
identifying headers more uniform. Each and every entry now starts with
the same header format. Here is an example:

> ###################
> From: dunwich%SOLPL@as.arizona.edu (Barry Meyers-Rice)
> Date: Fri, 30 Nov 90 13:30:22 mst
> Subject: Introductions
>
> Don Burden, meet Michael Chamberland (asmjc@asuacad.bitnet) and Rob
> Maharajh (maharaj@mcmaster.bitnet), and of course me (Barry). We're all
> "CPers". Michael is a Botany grad at Ariz. State U (Phoenix/Tempe),
> Rob is a grad at McMaster (Ontario), and I'm grad at U. of Arizona
> (astronomy).
>
> More Later
>
> Barry

Every entry now starts with the "###################" delimiter, and is
followed by a "From:" line, a "Date:" line, and a "Subject:" line, in
that order. In some of the older archives, the "Subject:" info had
been deleted, so the subject from the previous message was reused,
but prefixed with an "X". This means that some messages may have an
"XSubject:" line.

This new format makes it easier to incorporate the info into news reader
programs and databases. Now all we need is for everyone to use
descriptive "Subject:" lines on their postings so that the information
is properly cataloged!

Have fun,

--
Rick