CP's at U. S. Botanic

MALOUF@ESTD.NRL.NAVY.MIL
Tue, 12 Apr 1994 7:45:38 -0400 (EDT)

Tim Stark wrote:

> Last weekend, I went to Washington, DC area (Climate Zone 7) and was
>looking for Cherry Blossom trees... I ended up the U.S. Botional Gardens
>of Tropical and Subtropical plants near the Captiol Hill. I just was
>curious in the building that opens 9 to 5 daily to public. Admission is free.
>
> In one of their chambers, I found the carnivous plants near the bog
>outside of the building. I saw the pitcher plants (two major species) and
>venus flytap, and sundews there. They are growing so well as healthy in
>zone 7! Venus Flytrap has big traps. :)
>
> I am just curious that Venus flytrap plants can grow well in DC area
>(zone 7). Do you believe them? Do you grow your venus flytrap plants
>outside at DC metro area?

Hey Tim, I read your similar post on rec.gardens and then phoned Bill
McLaughlin who takes care of the CP's at U. S. Botanic. He was pleased
that the plants are doing well by your description, and laments that he
hasn't seen them himself in a while. He's been busy moving plants from
the old production greenhouses to the new facility and hasn't been to
the conservatory much.

Yes, the species that you saw can do well in the DC metro area. My
Venus flytraps are in pots but I wintered them outside by recessing the
pots in the ground and covering them with mulch. The winter this year
was unusually cold, but when I pulled the pots out of the ground I saw a
tender green rosette on each plant. They're now sitting in the sun
waiting for the warmer weather.

I don't have any Sarraceniae but I know they can take the cold if you're
a little careful. Rob Sacilotto has a large grove of Sarraceniae in
Stanardsville, VA and it got colder there than in the DC area. He
covered his beds with some foam pads during the winter, and now he
reports that 98% of the plants seemed to have survived. Not only that,
he has seen evidence that others have reported--cold winters actually
help the Sarraceniae. He examined some rhizomes and found them to be
putting out lots of side roots and other growth, much more so than after
milder winters.

(I noticed your quote about DC having a large hearing-impaired
population. Did you go to Gallaudet? I have a few friends who
graduated from there.)

Perry