Re: Floating Drosera

John Taylor [Catweasel] (rphjt@minyos.xx.rmit.EDU.AU)
Thu, 12 May 94 10:29:17 DST

>From: WELCH@NIEHS.NIH.GOV
>
>Hi Folks,
>
>I noticed in Alan Lowrie's catalog an unidentified
>_Drosera_ sp. with floating rosettes, but rooted
>under the water. I've seen submerged rosettes with
>traps projecting above the water before, but not this.
>Has anyone else seen this growth form?
>
>Jeff in NC

No - the few plants growing in the wild that I've seen have either been
completely submerged (as you have described) or half-in/half-out at the
edges of pools. Admittedly these have all been D. spathulata or D. pygmae
in the eastern states of Australia where we don't have a great variety
of species... :-(

Is Allen still at his old address - sounds like it's time to investigate
his plant/seed list again. ;-)

| John Taylor [Catweasel] | Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology |
| rphjt@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au | Department of Applied Physics |
| | Melbourne, Victoria, AUSTRALIA |