Subj: internet charges

Sender: entomo-l@uoguelph.ca
id DAA01129; Fri, 13 May 1994 03:26:03 -0400
Sender: entomo-l@uoguelph.ca
To: Multiple recipients of list <entomo-l@herman.cs.uoguelph.ca>

Forwarded message follows :

>Subject: Metered Usage of the Internet: JSN
>
>Please forgive the mass mailing, but I feel this is a subject
>which is of great importance to anyone who benefits from the
>bountiful resources of the Internet.
>
>A very bad storm is brooding on the horizon.
>
>In the future, you might have to pay a charge for every E-mail
>message you send or receive, every Usenet article you read,
>every kilobyte of data you transfer with ftp, every hypertext
>link you follow with NCSA Mosaic or Gopher...
>
>Hopefully this frightens you as much as it does me.
>But it will happen, unless YOU do something about it.
>
>Please read the attached, fill out the requested info, and
>mail it back to mike@essential.org. It also wouldn't hurt to
>forward a copy of this to everyone you know on the Internet.
>
>Thanks for your support.
>
>Craig Smith, <bcs@cs.tamu.eduor <craig@stat.tamu.edu>
>Texas A&M University, Dept. of Computer Science
>205 HRBB, 862-2084 (CPSC). [PGP2 Public Key Available on Request]
>---
>
>TAXPAYER ASSETS PROJECT - INFORMATION POLICY NOTE
>May 7, 1994
>
>- Request for signatures for a letter to NSF opposing metered
>pricing of Internet usage
>
>- Please repost this request freely
>
>The letter will be sent to Steve Wolff, the Director of
>Networking and Communications for NSF. The purpose of the letter
>is to express a number of user concerns about the future of
>Internet pricing. NSF recently announced that is awarding five
>key contracts to telephone companies to operate four Internet
>"Network Access Points" (NAPs), and an NSF funded very high speed
>backbone (vBNS). There have been a number of indications that
>the telephone companies operating the NAPs will seek permission
>from NSF to price NAPs services according to some measure of
>Internet usage. The vBNS is expected to act as a testbed for new
>Internet pricing and accounting schemes. The letter expresses
>the view that metered pricing of Internet usage should be
>avoided, and that NSF should ensure that the free flow of
>information through Internet listserves and file server sites is
>preserved and enhanced.
>
>Jamie Love, Taxpayer Assets Project (love@essential.org; but
>unable to answer mail until May 15). Until then, direct
>inquires to Michael Ward.
>
>If you are willing to sign the letter, send the following
>information to Mike Ward of the Taxpayer Assets Project
>(mike@essential.org, fax: 202/234-5176; voice: 202/387-8030;
>P.O. Box 19367, Washington, DC 20036):
>
>Names: ___________________________
>Title: ___________________________ (Optional)
>Affiliation: ____________________________________
>(for purposes of identification only)
>Address: ______________________________________
>for verification)

> [...]

Dr. R. B. Halliday
Principal Research Scientist (Acarology) International Fax 61-6-2464000
CSIRO Division of Entomology Local Fax (06) 2464000
GPO Box 1700 Telephone 2464085
Canberra ACT 2601 Internet bruceh@ento.csiro.au
Australia