Re: A couple questions about the CP lists, etc.

Kyle Williams (kwilliam@trumpet.aix.calpoly.edu)
Fri, 20 May 1994 19:06:14 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 20 May 1994, Rodney L. Boleyn wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Being new to this list/group/avocation, I have a couple questions...
> I've been looking over the lists available from the listserv
> (growlist, sellerlist, suppliers) and I've got some questions:

[other questions deleted]

> 5) Kind of off the subject: Has anyone ever seen florists use pitcher
> plants in flower arrangements? I saw a flower arrangement recently
> which looked like it had very tall, slender, hooded pitchers in
> it--are any common enough that they could be used this way, or was
> it likely some other plant that just had similar leaves?

It was probably a pitcher plant and equally likely harvested from wild
stands of them. When they are harvested they take all the pitchers
leaving none for the plant which of course seriously damages and if done
enough times kills it. So whenever you see them in an arrangement you
can subtract one more Sarricenia from the few wild ones left. If anyone
knows of cut pitcher plants being raised commercially please tell me
about it I'd love to hear that they are leaving the wild ones alone.