Re: Origins of VFTs

Ross Koning (Koning@ecsuc.ctstateu.edu)
Tue, 14 Jun 1994 13:05:04 -0500

At 8:41 AM 6/14/94 -0700, Steven Klitzing wrote:

>What if the asteroid belonged to a seed company...like Park's Seed in space?
>Wouldn't it then be *possible* that the seeds entered the earth's
>atmosphere slowly and were protected by the air tight hermedic seal
>of their foil packets? And, upon impact with the earth, the packets were
>opened by little animals who dumped their seeds onto the soil.
>
>You have to admit...it is an unlikely scenario...AND IT *COULD* HAVE
>HAPPENED! BELIEVE IT OR NOT!

Yes, the aliens would have to have some kind of thermal shielding
on the asteroid to prevent the internal temperature from ashing the
seeds. Then the interior compartment, whose latches must also tolerate
the reentry temperatures and the forces of impact sufficient to create
cape hatteras, would have to be sufficiently easy to open for
whatever animal the aliens KNEW would be at the impact site
to open the door. Maybe all of this happened so long ago that
in fact the cape is the site of the original seeding of eukaryotic
plants on the planet. This would explain the similarities of biochemistry
among plants. Of course we would have to invoke a time warp of
some sort so that biogeography is explained. Also maybe the aliens
who sent the seeds had the reentry capsule designed so that upon
entry, self-dispersing packets of seeds were distributed completely
around the planet. The last packets out were of cp! Ah yes, and
the moon is made of green cheese. Sorry, I cannot buy into this.
The evolution argument just has too many facets satisfying Occum's
razor.

ross

Ross Koning Internet: Koning@ecsuc.ctstateu.edu
Biology Department Phone: (203)-465-5327
Eastern CT State University Fax: (203)-465-5213
Willimantic, CT 06226 USA