Re: Hybrids

Lyoyd Loope (halesci@uhunix.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu)
Mon, 20 Jun 1994 10:24:17 -1000 (HST)

Botanically "pure species" is a little more difficult to define than
that... too many exceptions. This discussion could go on forever... but
delve into Hawaiian botany if you really want to begin to question
"definitions!"

Food for thought... RE: your point about Sarracenia being all one
species... ARE all sarrs a single species? I think not, but if I'm not
mistaken, ALL sarrs are interfertile, and in many cases where their
microranges overlap, natural hybrids occur... hybrid swarms of
rubra/leuco/etc in Fla. panhandle are another interesting occurrence...
I think it would be impossible to ever find a "pure species" in this area
(this subject has been covered to some extent in the literature, I think)
-philip thomas