Re: Heliamphora blooming

Andreas Wistuba (A.Wistuba@DKFZ-Heidelberg.DE)
Wed, 28 Sep 1994 12:08:56 GMT+1

> Subject: Heliamphora blooming

> I noticed a pause of about 6 weeks in the growth of a Heliamphora and
> had been a little worried but finally it is putting up a new pitcher.
> I noticed what looked like a lobster claw emerging from the new
> pitcher last night and realized it is preparing to bloom. So I am
> wondering how I can make it set seed?

If you are growing your plants in a greenhouse it should be possible
to produce seeds. I know nobody who ever had seeds under artificial
lights.
It is important to be aware that the female part of the flower is
ripe when the flower just starts opening.
Take an anther of the older flower and break it in half. Dip the
break onto the stigma of the flower which has just opened.

If you are interested in producing hybrids I could send you pollen of
H. ionasii in some time. My flowers are just the same stage as yours
by now.

Andreas

Andreas Wistuba
A.Wistuba@Dkfz-Heidelberg.de
Phone: +49-621-705471 Fax: +49-621-711307