Re: pollen 4 hybrids?

Andreas Wistuba (A.Wistuba@DKFZ-Heidelberg.DE)
Wed, 12 Oct 1994 11:04:15 GMT+1

Jan wrote:

> > In recent times many species which show unique features
> > have entered the collections and some kind of a breeding programme
> > could lead to very desirable plants.
>
> Certainly, but I still think the natural species (especially the critically
> endangered ones) themselves are the most desirable plants.

Of cause horticultural hybrids are worthless from a botanist's view
and true seeds of true species, especially endangered ones are far
more desirable but....creating new things which never existed in
nature can bring a lot of fun:-). If you have a male flowering, then
you usually have vast amounts of pollen, far too many to use for
creating seeds of the species.
I am aware also that growing hybrids can cause problems if seeds are
spread as true species due to non-proper labeling. I remember when I
started with CP I bought a lot of Sarracenia seeds from an Australian
source (not existing anymore) which turned out to be wrong labelled
at a very high percentage. So proper records and labelling are a
must.

All the best

Andreas

Andreas Wistuba
Mudauer Ring 227
68259 Mannheim
Germany
Inet: A.Wistuba@Dkfz-Heidelberg.de
Phone: +49-621-705471 Fax: +49-621-711307