Re: Nepenthes Excursion in SE Asia

Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Fri, 14 Oct 1994 20:06:36 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks Joe Parish, Carl Gustafson, and Walter Greenwood for
the well-wishes. Walter Greenwood also wrote:

> Three bits of advice.
>
> 1) Do yourself (and eventually the rest of us) a favor and bring back
> a few million seeds.

This is advice??? :) Or is it a polite request? Yes, I'm
going to try to get seeds. My success will depend on whether or
not I find any seeds OUTSIDE the Parks, whether the guides will mind my
collecting seeds even outside the Parks, and whether Customs
gives he a hard time.

> 2) After you collect the seeds, store them in something that will
> keep rats out, or they will have a feast. This is especially true
> when you are still out in the habitat. Wrap the inflorescenses
> loosely in newspaper so they don't stay too moist, but keep the
> critters out of them, too.

Now that's what I call good, practical advice. Thanks!

> 3) Don't dress too well. There are plenty of poor, angry folks in
> that part of the world who, unfortunately, like to do harm to rich-
> looking Americans.

Also very practical advice. Thankfully, I'm not very flamboyant.

> 4) (THERE ARE 4 BITS OF ADVICE!) Have a blast.

Thanks much. I'll try.

Regards,

Perry