Overwintering CPs

John R. Geiser (geiser@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu)
Wed, 19 Oct 1994 11:11:29 -0400

Robert Johnson wrote:

> Hello all, can anyone tell me how to keep my CPs alive during the winter?
> I am a beginner and have only been growing them for 5 months. The plants I
>have are, VFTs, S. purpurea, and S. alata. All of them are growing in pots.
> I live in southern CT.

Perry Malouf then responded with some nice hints for those overwintering
outside. But what about us that are apartment bound? I do not think the
landlord would appreciate me digging up his trees and bushes to bury my
plants outside (though I have considered it). I'm growing the same plants
as Robert under lights and would appreciate any hints.

I also have a Drosera of unknown parentage (the local greenhouse didn't
think it was important). Any global hints in overwintering it? It seems
to have gone dormant on me. It has died back to just leaving the center
green and looking as if it is ready to send up ??? (I have no idea what
they are even called). Fronds, leaves, ??? Please enlighten a misguided
beginner.

JOHN

John R. Geiser geiser@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu
Department of Biology, Mudd Hall Phone: (410) 516-7293
Johns Hopkins University FAX: (410) 516-5213
Baltimore, Maryland 21218
USA Fix the Problem, not the Blame!