Coir peat substitute

Peter Cole (carnivor@bunyip.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 17 Jan 1995 17:47:00 GMT

Clarke Brunt wrote :

> I have only seen Coir sold as a complete potting medium
> for normal plants, so I assumed it had fertilizer, and
> maybe lime, included.
>
> Did those of you trying it find a variety which was just
> the straight stuff, or did you just try it anyway?

'Wessex Cocopeat' - 100% coir with no nutritious additives
( I think they probably rot it a bit to improve the texture. )
Got mine from the local garden centre - Wyevale, but I'm sure
others stock it. It comes as a loose sack rather than compressed
bales ( like peat, ) but I can't remember how much it cost.
The coir-based composts are probably as bad as peat-based
ones - all those dreaded nutrients! I don't know the pH exactly,
but it sure turns litmus red, so I doubt there's any lime added.

Good growing,

Peter

Peter Cole |carnivor@bunyip.demon.co.uk| wondering what the hell to do
Swansea, WALES | new mailbox, same account | with the 500+ D. capensis I
planted on impulse in August...