D. adelae pollination

martin zevenbergen (Martin.Zevenbergen@ALGEM.PT.WAU.NL)
Sun, 22 Jan 1995 14:24:58 +0100 (CET)

Last Friday Jeff wrote:

>they are sending up about 12 flower spikes. I plan on dividing the
>pots after I collect seed so I'll offer up extras then.

Can I have some seed if you're successfull?

>Does anyone known if D. adelae needs assistance in pollination
>or will they self easily? Also, can they be crossed with D. prolifera?

Some years ago, I had D. adelae in terrarium, but lost it during a holiday. I
had also a lot of seed, which I gave to the Dutch cp society seed bank.
My experience was that you need to pollinate the flowers with a little brush.
If you don't do this you will get only deaf (not filled) seed.
I never had D.prolifera, but you can try to cross them, but use different
brushes for different pollen, and if it's possible, remove the anthers of the
female parent before they release their pollen. The most safe is to do this
just before the flower opens, so you have to break open the bud with a very
sharp pincet and remove the anthers carefully without damaging the ovary.
I will be interested in some seed if you succeed!

>Remember your International Carnivorous Plant Society dues.

just posted mine.

>Jeff
>in Central North Carolina where its 8 degrees C,
>overcast, and raining.

Martin
in The Netherlands where it's about the same weather