Re: Tuberous Drosera

John Taylor (rphjt@minyos.xx.rmit.EDU.AU)
Thu, 26 Jan 1995 21:28:34 +1100

Barry writes:

>Onto a different topic---Tuberous _Drosera_. Am I the only person who
>can only grow erect or scrambling or fan-leaved species? I have not been
>able to grow any rosetted tuberous _Drosera_ for longer than one season.
>Well, with the exception of _D.bulbosa_ which I seem to be keeping alive.
>I am growing _D.macrantha_ `Desert Form' and if anyone is ordering tubers
>from Allen Lowrie, consider purchasing it---it is a very fun plant. It
>has a prostrate crawling and branching stem which is causing all kinds of
>problems by getting in other pots etc. A really fun plant---I've nicknamed
>my plant The Crawling Chaos (for you lovecraft fans).

Sounds like a nice plant (I'm still a big fan of D. stolonifera ssp. prostrata
though I've yet to get hold of a plant). I've had mixed success with fan-
leaved sundews. My D.stolonifera ssp. compacta has been growing very well and
flowered and possibly multiplied (vegetatively?) last season. It seems to be
quite an easy plant to grow (ie. mine's still alive ;-) ). However, my
D.stolonifera ssp. rupicola didn't make it past the first summer :-(

Regarding erect plants, I've had no trouble with the local D. auriculata and
D. macrantha ssp. planchonii ('scuse any spelling mistakes) - but then they
aren't terribly difficult plants to grow.

The only reason I have against growing more of these plants is the
relatively high price of tubers of the more interesting plants. I find
it hard to pay $4 say for a single tuber which may or may not grow. It
must be said though that Genlisea is an even more expensive plant
(relatively speaking) - $12 for a G. violacea? clump 1cm across at most
(said to be "flowering size" and "first time released"). On the other
hand, Heliamphora plants are becoming more enticing at $25 for small
plants - probably half what they cost last year.

>Another great plant is _D.menziesii basifolia_. I have 2-year old plants
>from seed and this is the first year they are doing the ``basifolia'' bit.
>They are striking in beauty.

Hmmm - looks like Alan Lowrie's 3 volume "Carnivorous Plants of Australia" is
going to be another "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"... ;-)

BFN

| John Taylor [Catweasel] | Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology |
| rphjt@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au | Department of Applied Physics |
| | Melbourne, Victoria, AUSTRALIA |