Re: cold in Florida

Pekka Ala-Siuru (pal@tko.vtt.fi)
Fri, 10 Feb 1995 11:27:17 +0200 (EET)

On Thu, 9 Feb 1995, Christopher Waldrop wrote:

> > stuff (CPs :) ), I went out this morning to find all my plants
> > frozen into their water trays. Can you imagine, ICE! At this point
> > I am not worried about my Sarrs. or Drosera, but I don't know what
> > happens to live sphagnum when it is frozen solid. It does look
> > weird.
>

> In my experience, freezing does very little to sphagnum except stop it
> growing for a short time. Sphagnum is very weedy stuff--all my live
> sphagnum came from about four square inches which, potted in a wide,
> shallow tray, eventually invaded surrounding pots. What of it I've
> got outside has even survived being frozen solid and light snowfall.

I have actually collected ICY sphagnum because it is easy to
break into peaces.. (-15-20 C). No problems, once it is melting it is
living again..

BTW, I mentioned earlier that I will try to grow my _Nepenthes ampullaria_
in windowsill without any coverage.. it has been now over a month in such
conditions in my office window and bringing up new leaves.. and growing
new pitchers! The humidity is about 40%, temperature 20 C and light
moderate.

..Pekka

Pekka Ala-Siuru
Senior Analyst, Embedded Knowledge-Based Systems
VTT Electronics, P.O.Box 1100, FIN-90571, Oulu,Finland
Tel. +358 81 551 2461, Telefax +358 81 551 2320