Re: Neps and scale insects...

John Phillips (phillips@library.ucsf.edu)
Fri, 10 Feb 95 08:15:23 CST

In Message Thu, 9 Feb 1995 17:51:27 -0800,
blymn@awadi.com.AU (Brett Lymn) writes:

>According to Peter Cole:
>>

>> I'll try a systemic if it ever happens again - 'natural'
>> growing's got its place, but if these !@#$%s show up again
>> they're toast!
>>

>Amen to that :-)
>
>> That may have been the ones - some of them were sort of fluffy
>> and white - I'd thought those were larvae, but they might have
>> been a different species.
>>

>No they sound more little the second rider in the sap sucking
>apocalypse: mealy bugs. Fortunately they can also be controlled by a
>systemic poison. On the subject of systemic poisons, I have applied
>the recommended strength of Rogor to all my plants (sarra, drosera,
>vft, nepenthes) with no obvious effect on the plants. Just watch those
>handling instructions though, these poisons are rather nasty and even a
>mild dose can give you symptoms very much like a very bad
>cold/influenza i.e. aching joints, headaches, lethargy.
>
>-- Brett Lymn, Computer Systems Administrator, AWA Defence Industries
>"Also, it takes a lot longer to get up North ..... The slow way"
> - "Clever Trevor" Ian Drury

I've had great success w/ Safers insecticidal soap against aphids, thrips,
mealy bugs and scale. I buy the weaker concentration they sell for use on
fruits and vegetables. This stuff is not only much safer for the grower, but
I would also like to point out that our concern for the environment and the
endangered cp species we all love should not end with the plants. Polluting
this beautiful yet finite planet with horribly toxic chemicals that endanger
ourselves and other organisms is a facet of the same consciousness that sees
no consequences in filling in wetlands, pirating stands of endangered cp's,
or the logging and burning of tropical rainforests from Kalimantan to Brazil
to Madagascar. The Earth has a way of regaining its equilibrium when
disturbed. But if we disturb the current equilibrium too greatly, we won't
be part of the overall equation when equilibrium is restored.
Our plants suffer and die from insect infestation when they are already
weakened from growing in less than ideal situations. First we should strive
to provide the plants with a home where they can thrive. If they need
defending from some kind of infestation, we should seek the least toxic
solution. Every organism on the planet would benefit if we ALL approached
life here from this perspective.
My 2 cents worth...Happy growing!
PS. I should also add that my truly mercenary brother has found this same
approach to work with great success in his gardening and landscaping
business on the Big Island in Hawaii, where he swears there is an invasion
of some newly introduced "pest" at least every 2 months.
John Phillips
UCSF Health Sciences Library Rm 202
Interlibrary Loan
(415) 476-8383