Re: germination & baggies

Carl Strohmenger (cstrohme@com1.med.usf.edu)
Fri, 10 Feb 1995 17:12:40 -0500 (EST)

I have been using zipper -type baggies for seed germination for a few
months now. A 2 gallon baggie will hold a 6 by 6 starter tray (Half of a
regular 6 by 12 tray) although it is difficult getting the tray into the
baggie without getting dirt in the zipper, so I have started cutting the
starter trays into 3 sections each 4 by 6. Then there is room to put a
wood or wire support to hold the plastic above the sprouts (in case the
air leaks out of the baggie). I use tap water from the city water supply.
It has some chlorine in it which probably serves as a fungicide. So far,
I have successfully sprouted several members of the Aster family, some
milkweeds, and some members of the Pea family as well as native Blue Curls.
I have 2 Lobelia species (L. cardinalis and one of the blue lobelias)
in baggies now, but no sprouts yet. same for a couple of morning glory
species. I am also trying to get cuttings of wild cotton started in
baggies. Results in a few weeks or months. Generally, I store the
germination setup in an out of the way, shaded location until I notice
sprouts, then I move it to an area with diffuse light. When the sprouts
are an inch or so high, I open the baggie and let the humidity level
decrease gradually, before removing the tray from the baggie.

- Carl