Re: N. carunculata (?)

Joachim Nerz (joachim.nerz@student.uni-tuebingen.de)
Tue, 14 Feb 1995 08:59:14 +0100 (MEZ)

On Mon, 13 Feb 1995, Ch'Ien Ch'Ien Lee wrote:

> Attn: Nepenthes growers
>
> The University here just received a cutting of an interesting plant
> labelled as N. carunculata. However, it is much different from all other
> N. carunculata plants I have seen in that the pitcher tendril is attached
> to the leaf before the apex (as in N. rajah). The pitchers (as I recall
> from seeing the parent plant) are purplish-brown in colouration with a
> broad dark peristome.
>
> Is this a true variety of N. carunculata? Can anyone give me a clue as
> to its place of origin?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ch'ien

Dear Ch'ien,

it seems to be realy N. carunculata.
Some variations of it are quite vigorous with a very robust appearance
and a broad peristome (like in N. veitchii, e.g. in N. c. var. robusta
;-) ). At vigorous plants you can find in N. carunculata the described
subpeltate insertion of the leaf.
It would be interesting to know, WHERE (at which mountain) this plant has
been found.

Bye

Joe N.