Re: Pings from seed

John Beebe (BEEB@legacy.Calvin.EDU)
Fri, 24 Feb 1995 07:23:40 EDT

To: Multiple recipients of list <cp@opus.hpl.hp.com>

On Thu, 23 Feb 1995, Scott Portman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Do Pinguicula (or Drosera) seedlings 'damp off' without sufficient air
> circulation? Currently, I have a small pot of P. lusitanica germinating in
> 50:50 milled peat and fine sand, standing in a shallow water tray. The
> whole thing is in a ziplock bag. I'm wondering whether the bag should be
> removed - as long as the soil surface stays moist...

on feb 24 ..Pekka Ala-Siuru replied:

I have germinated succesfully Pinguicula emarginata and P. zecheri in open
air (pots in water tray and sufficient water level; moist all the time).

Good growing..
..Pekka

I have had good luck with Pekka's system. Some times I put pots or
small trays with sphagnum in plastic bags and use the bag as a
reservoir for deionized water. The humidity can be adjusted by
opening and closing the bag. This works well to harden plants which
were started in tissue culture as well as with seedlings.
John
the
-
John D. Beebe Phone 616-957-6490 Calvin College
Biology Department FAX 616-957-6501 Grand Rapids MI 49546