Re: CO2

Doug Bosco (bosco@interaccess.com)
Sun, 26 Feb 1995 22:30:15 -0600

>Michael Livingston wrote:
>> As far as the CO2 dispenser goes, that is an expense that I was not
>> quite expecting. Like I mentioned I only have two Drosera which
>
> I recall a few weeks back someone ( sorry, I forget who, ) suggested
> using yeast & sugar to produce CO2 in a small jar or similar inside
> the terrarium. I am just in the process of doing this myself - I
> figure it might be a good idea to stop the neck of the jar with
> cotton wool or suchlike, just in case escaped yeast might cause a
> problem in the terrarium, or use an external jar connected by tubing.
> It's certainly a lot cheaper than cylinders...

When I was a kid, I owned a chemistry set (back in the good old days before
lawsuits took all of the fun out of being a kid). One of my favorite
experiments was adding vinegar to baking soda, generating lots of suds and
CO2. Maybe this is a good method of generating CO2. It involves two common
and cheap household chemicals and you don't have to worry about yeast.

You just have to find a way to contain the reaction. That shouldnt be too
much of a problem.

Doug Bosco bosco@interaccess.com

Enjoying watching the freezing rain fall outside.