Re: oreophila habitat

LCCSB St._Francis (b3fra002@freenet.niagara.com)
Fri, 7 Apr 1995 13:52:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 4 Apr 1995 dick@rmy.emory.edu wrote:
Dear Dick,

> Last weekend, with the Georgia native plant society, ones of the sites
>visited was habitat for the endangered oreophila pitcher plant. This
>site, in NE Alabama, is at an elevation of about 2000 ft, putting it
>probably in zone 6. I was astonished to find this plant growing in
>black muck soil soil such as you might find celery growing in. Its
>companion plants were robust meadow grasses in a power line right of
>way. Unfortunately, the site attracts
> off-road vehicle enthusiasts and the power company is planning to
> fence it off, in a gesture of cooperation with the plant protection
> forces.

> Dick Wagner
> Atlanta

After reading your mail, a thought crossed my mind. Seeing how this site
is in a powerline right of way, is it prpbably regularly mowed by the hydro
company. This mowing process keeps the competition plants from establishing
and crowding out the pitcher plants. This kind of maintenence is critical
to a healthy, open bog environment. This should be considered before the
fence goes up.

Sincerely, Carl J. Mazur
b3fra002@freenet.niagara.com

"Why isn't phonetics spelled like it sounds?"