Re: Ping. Tissue Culture

Heiko Rischer (hrischer@rs1.rz.uni-hohenheim.de)
Thu, 18 May 1995 13:49:18 +0200 (MESZ)

On Wed, 17 May 1995, Fritz Schomburg wrote:

> I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with tissue
> culturing Pings? The leaves seem like they would be sensitive to prolonged
> exposure to bleach, does anyone have a good sterilization protocol? Any
> media/growth regulator preferences?
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Fritz Schomburg

Some years ago I tried TC culturing Pings. I had good success in
sterilization using unopened flowerbuds (I suggested this method some time
ago for Drosera !). This worked especially for the mexican Pings having
very soft "summer leaves" which are impossible to sterilize.
Seed is very easy to sterilize too, but not available for all species.
Medium is the "normal" 1/5 MS, 30 g/l sucrose, pH 5,8, Agar.

Hope this helps

Heiko