Re: Sarracenia Smells

Robert Beer (bbeer@u.washington.edu)
Sun, 4 Jun 1995 16:52:02 -0700 (PDT)

Only S. purpurea really works as a "pool" type of trap. The other
pitchers rarely have lots of water, just a little in the bottom. I think
it is more a matter of keeping the contents moist so that they will
digest/decompose. If you add water to a S. flava, it will probably just
fall over anyway.

D. califorica does seem to often have about an inch in the bottom, but
once that inch is filled, most insects are just kept moist I suspect.

Bob