Re: Sarracenias & Water

LCCSB St._Francis (b3fra002@freenet.niagara.com)
Sun, 4 Jun 1995 22:30:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 4 Jun 1995 TracieW502@aol.com wrote:

Tracie,

> Actually, I DO add water to my Sarracenia purpurea traps. Thought perhaps
> that I may be a little strange for doing so, but I thought perhaps that the
It's a good idea

> opening, it appears that the plant is actually designed to catch rain
> water... Look at yours if you have one...

Sarracenia purpurea's traps are designed to catch rainwater. It is
believed that the plant secretes a wetting agent into the water that
coats the prey and forces them to sink and drown quickly. The micro
organisms that inhabit these resevoirs actually aid in the digestion process.

I've even heard the argument that S. purpurea isn't carnivorous because
it's the bacteria that break down the prey, not plant produced enzymes. I
do believe that to be bogus! regardless of the prey breakdown, the plant
does absorb the nutrients and benefits from them. Try to keep water in
them at all times.

Sincerely, Carl J. Mazur
b3fra002@freenet.niagara.com

Persistence prevails when all else fails