Re: VFT:SHould I cover it?

Carl Strohmenger (cstrohme@com1.med.usf.edu)
Thu, 15 Jun 1995 08:33:54 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 15 Jun 1995, Dio Lazo wrote:

> My Venus Fly trap stays inside and I was wondering if I should keep
> it covered with the plastic cap? I think that's to keep the
> humidity up, but the plastic cap is so constraining to my developing
> traps. Do you guys cover up your VFT?

Do not keep your VFT copvered! It cannot catch any insects if the cover
is left on the container. It should do OK just sitting in a shallow dish
on the window sill. You can keep a 1/4 inch of water in the dish to
provide moisture.

> Also, I was thinking about planting a VFT outside, but it would be difficult
> to keep it moist, plus I would have to dig a big hole in the
> ground and put in peat moss? so that the roots would have plenty
> of the stuff as it grows downward. Has anybody successfully
> planted thei VFT outside?

I have planted all of my VFTs outside. I built an artificial bog for my
carnivores. It is a child's wading pool filled with a mixture of white
sand (20%) and milled sphagnum (80%). I cut some drainage holes in the
side walls of the pool about 2 inches below the surface of the
sand/sphagnum mix for water level control. I add water once or twice a
week when it is not raining regularly. The VFTs have done fine. They are
growing and catching insects and most of them have flowered and set seed.

Other CPs in the bog include: Sarracenea minor, S. flava, S. purpurea,
Pinguicula lutea, P. moranensis(sp?), P. pumila, P. caerulea, P.
primulifolia, Drosera capensis, D. capillaris, D. brevifolia, D. adelae,
D. spathulata, and unidentified Utricularia species.