re: strange adelae behavior...

eheick@acs.bu.edu
Sat, 24 Jun 1995 19:20:54 -0400 (EDT)

On June 24 dave Evans wrote:
>> From: eheick@ACS.BU.EDU
>>
>> I have been witnessing some pretty strange behavior from my D. adelae.
>>When I first got it the flowers were white, the following year the flowers
>>were red, and remained red for eight years and now the plants have white
>>flowers again, actually it is more a cream color now. Has anyone
>>else had this phenomeon happen to them? This really puts some serious
>>doubt in my mind as to wheather the two are really distinct forms. Can
>>someone tell me what is going on?
>
>Perhaps you are one of the first to see/realize this happenning.
>Did the flower changes correspond w/ any changes? Temp, *lighting*,
>food, repotting?
>
>Dave Evans

The only difference for sure is the fact that they are under lights this year,

but I don't really see why that should make a difference. The first year, it
flowered white in a greenhouse, the following winter it froze and it came
back blood red. They did not freeze last winter but are under lights, unlike
last year when they were growing outside. Yes, there are quite a few
changes, but why would that affect flower color?

Christoph