Re: CP digest 405

Robert Allen (Robert.Allen@Eng.Sun.COM)
Thu, 13 Jul 1995 11:09:41 -0700

>>------------------------------
>>
>>Topic No. 3
>>
>>Date: Wed, 12 Jul 1995 13:34:09 -0600 From: shafer@godot.Colorado.EDU
>>To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com Subject: Observations about N. khasiana
>>

>>In fact, the plant has grown so well I have begun to consider taking a
>>cutting. I have heard that this species is notoriously difficult to
>>root, however, so I was wondering what luck any of you have had
>>rooting this species, and what techniques you've used. Any advice you
>>have would be appreciated.

As you've noticed, N. khasiana will grow like a weed given
half a chance. Regarding cuttings, as best I can tell the
plant is not as hard to root as people seem to think. They
key however is to use a sharp razor to make the cutting, and
not plant clippers. The clippers damage the stem cutting
via a crushing action which may injure the cutting sufficiently
that it can't root.

Needless to say, be very careful when using razors to take
Nepenthes cuttings. The stem is often so thick and stiff
that you must apply significant pressure to the blade when
making the cutting.

Robert Allen,
rja@sun.com