Re: CP digest 419

Peter Cole (carnivor@bunyip.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 28 Jul 1995 00:41:49 GMT

Rick Walker writes:

> Such a thing already exists... It might not be exactly what you envision,
> but it is close.
>
> I maintain a CP trading list for this group. Anyone who sends me their
> growing list will be added to the list. The format allows you to indicate
> which plants are available for free, for trading, selling, swapping, etc.

True, but perhaps a Web-based alternative, updatable online by
growers would allow a more flexible and up to date environment
for small-scale trade as well as more extensive distribution -
if it was flexible enough to accommodate individually offered
specimens for example, I'm sure a lot of growers with smaller
collections would get more involved.

I know that I have been meaning to send in a growlist in the
past - I haven't yet, mainly because I'm disorganized, but also
because any plants I've got for trade are often only in ones
or twos when I divide or take cuttings, which don't seem to
justify the potential for information obsolescence and confusion.
I just don't have the space to duplicate specimens to ensure a
trading base for many plants, and avoid having to bother you
with an update every time I swap a plant.

I don't know if such a thing is even possible or whether it would
breach any 'commercial use' policies or anything, but what would
be really neat would be an online Forms-based system with the
ability to forward Email enquiries/orders to growers, and auto
update the listed plants accordingly - a sort of cyber-swapmeet
(Aaargghh! - he said the "C" word :) I don't know enough
about the technology to figure whether this is feasible or pie
in the sky - and of course, someone would have to set it up.
I'd be happy to volunteer some time and brain cells, though I
don't speak AWK, and I've not had a vast amount to do with html
and the mechanics of the Web.

Any thoughts anyone?

Happy growing,

Peter