Re: Re: IRC

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Fri, 28 Jul 95 18:36 EDT

> From: blymn@AWADI.COM.AU(Brett Lymn)
> According to Peter Cole:
> >
> > !?! I always thought they slowed down as they approached
> > absolute zero... though I hope Finland isn't *that* cold :)
>
> True the electons do slow down when they are cooler but this makes
> them conduct the current better because resistance is caused by the
> electrons banging into things when they are force to move. Mind you,
> the electrons do not move very fast in the first place they just drift
> along and in the opposite direction to that which you would first
> expect - they drift towards the positive terminal of the EMF source
> whereas, by convention, current flows from postive to negative...

Huh... I think your thinking of a *super-conductor* which work
only at very low temps allowing the e-'s to travel along thin
paths of no resistance: because if they were any hotter they bounce
right off the no resistance path. Normal metals' resistance goes
down as the temp goes up because more e-'s fly off the atoms: if
it got hot enough you get plasma: a soup of electrons and other stuff.

Oh yeah plants. Well after two weaks of heatwave my -sob- Darlingtonia
are dying of heat stroke. Of couse the year I get a good quantity
of them going, heat and heat and heat AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Perhaps they just don't like all those extra free electrons in their
roots.

Dave Evans