Re: Secret Life of Plants (was: Re:Andreas home page)

Richard Marsden (marsden@andreas.wr.usgs.gov)
Thu, 3 Aug 1995 17:47:24 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 3 Aug 1995, Shep's CP mailbox wrote:

> This series aired a while back here in the UK - it is a *real*
> must-see; the whole show is based around state-of-the-art timelapse
> photography, which makes the behaviour of the plants covered seem
> very animal-like.. perhaps some of the most memorable footage of the
> whole series is that of 'time-lapsed' Nepenthes pitchers swelling up into
> shape, and then the lids 'bursting' open to eerie sound-effects
> reminicent of the alien movies!
>
> Yeah.. I know this description might sound a bit tacky, but it's
> amazing footage, and the sound effects fit really well!
>
> Don't miss this series - I can't reccomend it highly enough!!

Alas, I only saw a couple of them. Definitely upto Mr. Attenborough's
high standards. There are bits of CP in most/all of the programmes,
although I missed the one which was mainly about CPs!

Yes, the BBC Radiophonics Workshop have a field day with the time lapse
photography!

Richard
(about to unsubscribe - I'll be back in September, from my *own* UK address)