Re: Self pollination

Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 7 Aug 1995 21:52:03 +0100

On 6 Aug 95 at 22:51, Dhalsim/Raiden wrote:

> I've read that Drosera capensis is a self pollnating plant that requires no
> dormancy. My D. Capensis is about to send up a flowering stalk and
> I wonder if there is anything I should do or will the seeds just
> fall out?

Yes - it self pollinates, and the seeds are ready some weeks after
the flower dies. Just tap the flower stem with your hand or a sheet
of paper underneath - if they are ready, the seeds will fall out.
For many people, too many self sown Drosera are a problem. I usually
cut the flower stems off once the flowers are over to prevent this.
Beware - the bottom flowers on the spike can scatter seed while the
top flowers are still flowering.

> Also, I have some U. terrestrial bladderworts growing with my
> D. Aliciae. There are many white flowers with a yellow mark on
> top. Now, this part of the plant falls off after a few days!
> Is this supposed to happen and if so, should I collect the white
> flowers and treat them like seed?

I'm only really familiar with U. bisquamata and sandersonii, but I
don't think there'll be good seed in flower parts which fall after
a few days. Normally, the seed capsule (small, roundish) remains
on the plant. Again the seed should be ready in a few weeks.
Test as for the Drosera. These are even worse if they self-sow
in other pots, as unlike a Drosera, they are virtually impossible
to get rid of.

> Lastly, Since the D. Capensis requires no dormancy, would it be better
> to give it a dormant period for 3 months? Would this create
> longer stalks and a more healthier plant?

I don't think it will make any difference. I find repotting in fresh
medium every now and then re-enlivens D. capensis.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)