Re: Re: Re: IRC

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Thu, 10 Aug 95 17:26 EDT

> From: Wayne Forrester <forrestr@MENDEL.BERKELEY.EDU>
>
> Dave,
> Have you tried putting ice cubes on the pots of your
> Darlingtonia? I got this tip from Peter d'Amato at California Carnivores.
> I have used it a few times during hot spells here. Don't really know if
> it helped, but the plants are still growing. Peter's suggestion was to
> just place a few ice cubes on the surface of the planting mix when it's
> hot. The cubes melt slowly and the cold water drips through the pot.
> Obviously, it's hard to keep putting ice cubes on the pot all day when
> you have to go to work, but it might be worth trying.
> Wayne Forrester

Hi Wayne,
That is a good idea, but the Darlingtonia are growing in a bog.
Well now that the heat wave has ended (thank God) the plants
have stopped dying. Now I'am left with about 1/3 of the plants
Ron S. had sent me. On a very surprising note, the healthiest
Darlingtonia is the one growing in a clump of sedge moss. When
Tom Hayes saw it shoved in there he asked. "Looking for new ways
kill it?" I'm assuming that because the sedge, while denser
than sphagnum, has many airy passages through it; it is acting
as a swamp cooler in the truest sense.

Dave Evans