Re: Re: Nepenthes media

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Wed, 16 Aug 95 19:57 EDT

> Subject: Re: Nepenthes media

> On Tue, 15 Aug 1995, ISLAM, YASSIR wrote:
> > Can I hgrow Nepenthes in straight peatmoss? The Slack book says nothing
> > about this. Would perlite or sand be appropriate amendments?
> > Yassir
>
> I think it is better to have more airy planting material, I have used with
> good experiences orchid bark which is a compound of styrofoam pieces, Querqus
> leaves, Pine "leaves", sphagnum moss, peat.
>
> ..Pekka

Yes, I second motion! As another correspondent showed, some Nepenthes
will do good in straight peat, but for many more species a lighter
more airy mix is needed. Mine are growing in a mix of peat, milled
sphagnum, orchid mix, potting soil, perlite, and other stuff best
described as compost. The peat, milled sphagnum and orchid mix are
the largest componets. This mix is fairly heavy (water retentive)
compared with the mixes some use. But key hear is it lets the water
go through it quickly and doesn't stay water logged as peat moss will.
I'm not using it my self but a mix using diatomous (sp?) earth would
be very good. Infact, when I run out of my current mix I'll be using
the stuff for all my plants (that are potted).

Dave Evans