Re: Cephalotus seeds

Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 24 Aug 1995 23:28:45 +0100

On 23 Aug 95 at 5:56, /G=Loyd/S=Wix/OU=1890CHPI/O=T wrote:

> I think it was Clarke that was asking about the release of
> Cephalotus seed, so I thought I would share my recent
> experiences with this plant.

Yes - it was me!

I had the advantage of knowing what the seeds were like already, as I'd
had a packet of them from Rowland's. Actually, the first packet I got
from them contained nothing - I thought "these must be the world's
smallest seeds!". To their credit, Rowland's apologised, and sent me
two packets (with seed this time). They said they sowed them complete
with the papery covering, which is what I did - to date I have only got
one seedling from 3 packets (with a few seeds in each). Maybe I should
try removing the covering, but I suspect it would make no difference.

And yes - I have managed to collect a few from my own plant.
I think you get 6 seeds per flower if it sets. Indeed it is
tricky to avoid losing them. Any suggestions for better germination
would be welcome, but I usually find that home-collected seed
of anything germinates much better than anything commercial.

Incidentally, my Cephalotus have been in full sun, and are very red,
but I have noticed that the pitchers close in the heat of the day
and open at night. Has anyone else noticed this?

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)