RE: a side note

John Phillips (phillips@library.ucsf.edu)
Fri, 8 Sep 95 10:45:40 CST

In Message Fri, 8 Sep 1995 08:07:39 -0700,
lcochran@midway.uchicago.edu (Liane Cochran-Stafira) writes:

>Hi all,
>
>THis is a bit off the more scientific/technical discussions of late, but I
>just thought I'd let you know about it. As I passed through the china
>section of a local department store recently, I did a double take. There
>on a dinner plate was a really quite lovely VFT. The pattern is called
>Botanic Garden (or something like that), and the company is Portmeiron.
>Sorry, I'm not very good on VFT species without a guide book so I can't
>tell you which one it was. The image was quite detailed, and a few of the
>traps even had prey. Too bad they didn't have any Sarracenia's, I would
>have at least picked up a coffee mug (bit pricey though).

My wife came home with a cylindrical vase with this pattern, a flowering VFT
with little insect legs sticking out of traps and flying insects buzzing
around the plant. She was hoping I could use it in the studio to hold my
paint brushes.
On another note: has anyone else heard that Superthrive is toxic and illegal
in the US? I've had no trouble purchasing it at the hardware store.
John Phillips