Re: ill VFT

Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 22 Sep 1995 10:48:16 +0100

On 21 Sep 95 at 16:42, John Walker wrote:
> I'll be sure to dig one or two of my VFT's tonight. It sounds as though
> Clarke my have the solution to my VFT problem also. One Question. If I
> find a mix of mostly dead and some live roots, what is the best technique
> for bringing them back to health?

I only suggested checking the roots - if they are absent or rotting,
then the plant isn't going to do well, but the real question is why
they have got like this! I didn't answer that one, other than to
suggest that something was wrong with the soil or the water they
had been given, and to repot in the 'correct' soil (whatever
that is) and to give only distilled (or similar) water - I use
our rainwater - I couldn't imagine having to buy or produce enough
water for my plants' needs, and I haven't really got that many
plants.

I killed quite a few VFTs before learning from one of Slack's books
how to grow CPs in general. The VFT roots would die, and the
bulbous bit formed from leaf bases would just rot until none
was left. Maybe nutritious or alkaline soil provokes this?
All you can do is attempt to remove any dead or rotting bits,
then replant. Covering the plant might help while it attempts to
recover (just to reduce water loss through the leaves while there
aren't many roots).

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)