Re: Nepenthes

Jan Schlauer (Jan@pbc-ths1.pci.chemie.uni-tuebingen.de)
Thu, 5 Oct 1995 10:27:05 +0100

Dear Edward,

>Well anyway, that sounds exciting, no wonder I haven't heard a
>thing about N. deaniana except its listing is in several checklists. Can
>you tell what to look for? Just what is it? Could it be a hybird? I will try
>my best and Im currently getting applications for importation of Nepenthes
>and we should be able to get CITES permits.

Fine! _N.deaniana_ is not very well circumscribed, so it is rather
difficult to answer your questions. In the Philippine Journal of Science
Vol.33 (2):128 (1927), MACFARLANE writes in his key:

"Pitchers obconic, orifice with elongated neck", grouping _N.deaniana_ next
to the species _N.burkei_ (N Phil.), _N.ventricosa_ (N Phil.), and
_N.merrilliana_ (S Phil. & Celebes).

His description on pp.134/135 reads:

"Plants so far as known low, spreading by shoots, or shortly ascending.
Stem 20 to 30 cm high, 4 to 5 cm thick, glabrous, closely surrounded by
sessile leaf bases. Leaves 6 to 12 * 3.5 to 4 cm, lanceolate or obovate,
sessile, one-half to two-thirds amplexicaul, glabrous, when young
ferruginous-tomentose along the midrib beneath; longitudinal veins 4 to 5
pairs, obscure, united by irregularly reticulate transverse veins, tendri
10 to 15 cm long, delicate, ferruginous-hirsute when young, at length
puberulous; pitchers 6 to 9 * 2.3 to 3.5 cm, obconic,
membranous-herbaceous, ferruginous-hirsute when young, at length glabrous,
brown tomentose below the rim, veins distinct, united by reticulate
transverse veins, wings continuous from near the base to the peristome,
expanded, long ciliate. Mouth transverse or slightly oblique, prolonged
behind into a neck 1 to 1.5 cm high. Peristome 5 to 8 mm wide, finely
striate, cylindric with sharply recurved outer and inflexed inner margin
that bears long attenuate teeth, lid broadly cordate, transversed by 8 or 9
pairs of delicate reticulate veins, without when young brown pubescent,
within abundantly covered by small circular glands, pitcher interior
glaucous purple over posterior triangular neck, from thence downward
shining and covered with small, discrete, deeply sunken glands. Staminate
inflorescence (alone known) 15 to 20 cm long, pubescent to glabrous.
Pedicels compressed and expanded at base, 1-flowered, bracteolate near the
lower third. Sepals 4, in unequal pairs, broadly oval and elongate, within
with many small glands. Staminal column glabrous, equal to the sepals,
anthers 8, unseriate.

PALAWAN, very common on the summit of Mount Pulgar, at an elevation of
1,300 m, For(est).Bur(eau).3891 Curran; Cabatuan River, For.Bur.2337
Danao.

As yet only two collections have been made of the above distinct species.
Both specimens are evidently side branches or spurs produced by a main
shoot. Whether the species is of low dwarf habit, or is an elongated
climber, as is suggested by the coils on the tendrils and from a pencil
note of the latter collector, can only be determined by future field
observation."

I would like good photos of stem portions showing the attachment of the
leaf bases of both short and climbing shoots, pitchers from both types of
shoot, the lower surface of the pitcher lid, a longitudinal section through
the bitcher showing the internal zonation, and a picture of the posterior
apical portion of the pitcher showing attachment and morphology of the
spur. If you find inflorescences or (even better) fruits, please try to
collect them for both herbarium material and propagation purposes (store
them dry, I know this is difficult in the tropics).

Thank you very much for your efforts.

Have a nice trip (& preparation)!

Kind regards
Jan

PS:
Sorry for any typos. I have to hack this in in great hurry. Unfortunately,
I will be off-line until next week. But you will certainly be able to
obtain some further info from Andreas or Joachim.